To launch its new marketplace for subscription boxes, uOpen.com undertook research by surveying 2,000 consumers nationwide to find out more about their Pet & Animal box subscriptions.
- Men are outspending women by a quarter, £63.10 and £47.01 respectively (mean monthly average)
- Compared with other sectors, 14.25% of Brits are spending £54.12 a month on Pet & Animal subscription boxes – that’s £506 million a year
- Geordies lead as the most animal-loving region, by volume, with Newcastle spending on average monthly £105.20 on Pet & Animal subscription boxes
- With Liverpool the top by value, having over 11% of respondents spending a whopping £300 or more per month
- Millennials (25 – 34-year olds) are the age group that spends the most, £61.61 compared with over 55s spending just £19.85
- In comparison to just 1% in 2014, nearly 20% of all UK consumers have now signed up to a subscription box
Nearly one fifth of Brits have now signed up to subscription boxes that deliver a host of different goodies direct to our doors, according to new research by uOpen. The survey reveals that 19 per cent – more than 12 million of us – have signed up for subscription boxes in the last six months as the British public increasingly move away from the High Street. Less than 1 per cent of us had a subscription back in 2014, proving it is one of the fastest-growing retail trends in the UK right now.
The research revealed that perhaps surprisingly men are spending a lot more than women on subscription boxes, across all categories such as arts and crafts to food and drink. However, in the Pet & Animal sector, men are outspending women by a quarter, £63.10 and £47.01 respectively on boxes such as Perfect Pawtrait Club. Compared with other sectors, 14.25% of Brits are spending £54.12 a month on Pet & Animal subscription boxes – that’s £506 million a year and, by volume, there are more Geordies in the North East subscribed to Pet & Animal boxes compared with any other UK city, including the two UK capitals Edinburgh and London:
- Newcastle £105.20 per month (mean average)
- Liverpool £86.22 per month (mean average)
- Sheffield £70.83 per month (mean average)
- London £62.35 per month (mean average)
- Edinburgh £61.36 per month (mean average)
- Plymouth £60.71 per month (mean average)
- Belfast £53.12 per month (mean average)
- Norwich £48.43 per month (mean average)
- Birmingham £46.13 per month (mean average)
- Nottingham £44.64 per month (mean average)
However it’s Liverpool that has the biggest spenders. When looking at the highest value Pet & Animal subscribers 11% of Liverpudlians are spending £300 a month or more. The rise is being put down to an increased need for more physical things in an increasingly digital world particularly among younger people and this is a figure proven by the survey showing Millennials (25 – 34-year olds) as the age group that spends the most – £61.61 compared with over 55s spending just £19.85.
More than a quarter (26%) said they buy subscription boxes as a treat, almost two thirds (63%) said it was because they loved receiving a surprise package in the post – and more than half the population (57.8%) say it’s because they hate it when they only receive bills in the post.
Carola York, Managing Director at uOpen said: “We might be living in a digital and technologically advanced era, but we still love the surprise and delight moments that a subscription box gives. In our increasingly busy world, a subscription box allows you to treat yourself or give a great gift to someone else. There’s a box for every taste whether you are a pet lover or a music aficionado, and now you can now shop for all these fantastic boxes in the one place.”